First tattoo artist choice and tattoo choice conflict.

If you're new to getting tattooed ask your questions here

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, Freddie, CxCx

katelamark

Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:48 pm

I turn 18 in one week :D
Ever since I was 14 years old, I said "my first tattoo will be the words 'so it goes'". Over the years, that idea has stuck in my head. I love the phrase, from Kurt Vonnegut 'Slaughterhouse Five'. It reminds me that life goes on, and that nothing stays the same forever, and I just have to let it go and keep moving forward.
I think I have finally settled on a placement too, I want it on my ribcage, right under where my bra would sit.

Lately, however, I evaluated all of my tattoo ideas and realized every single one is text!! So I thought about getting my owl first, since I love owls and the fact that they represent wisdom, which is something I need a lot of :P

I had an artist that I liked a lot, but a few weeks ago he updated his page that at this time he can only accept large custom pieces. :( boo.

I started looking at other artists now, and I am not quite sure how to evaluate their portfolios.
Devin at Crayons Tattoo: http://www.crayontattoo.com/dblkngry.html
Amy at South Side Tattoo: http://southsidetattooshop.com/tattoo-artist-amy.html

I don't know where else to look haha. I live near Pittsburgh PA, and I don't really think there is any distance too far to travel for quality work, but my budget begs to differ :P So I guess I would have to stay within about 50 miles from my area if anyone has artist recommendations.

Which one should I get first and where should I go guys? haha
Ach3r0n
Hardcore

Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:21 pm

Devin ... works looks clean, but all blah stuff. Tribal, text, etc. I can't really get any feel for whether or not Devin could really handle an owl. Amy's work looks better. I don't really know anyone out near Pittsburgh offhand except for Jason Lambert.
buttwheat
Hardcore

Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:28 pm

Sorry neither of those tattooist would touch my skin.

Try Jason Angst http://www.jasonangst.com/work

Lose the thought of a text tattoo they are the trendy go for the owl.
kohlhaas
Hardcore

Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:35 am

I tattooed "so it goes" in the exact same spot (ribcage, under bra line) on a girl last week.

I vote for owl.

Very very rarely does lettering make for an interesting or appealing tattoo. It breaks up the natural curves of your body. Since you mentioned a lot of your ideas involve text, I would definitely recommend reading this article:

http://occultvibrations.wordpress.com/2 ... d-tattoos/
Stubarber
Hardcore

Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:19 am

what's wrong with a custom owl from the original artist?

Don't cheap out on this. You'll be happier in the long run.

Who was the original artist?
JimiDanglez
Hardcore

Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:39 pm

Every teenager thinks text tattoos are cool. When you are 25-30, you will be saving up to get that shit lasered off.
tondraj

Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:13 pm

Go to Jason Lambert for the owl tattoo, he is fantastic. You can't schedule an appt with him because he's booked, but he takes walk-ins on Thursdays. He did two owl tattoos for me on a walk in and I get compliments on them all the time. His wife Cara also does good traditional tattoos, so you could go to her as well. Hope this helps.
kalash
Hardcore

Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:10 pm

It is one of the best tattoo quotes, love the book as well.
katelamark

Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:07 pm

Woah I was offline for a while.
I think I will hold off on the text tattoo for a little longer and look into getting the owl. Since I posted, however, my grandmother has passed away, and I may get something in her memory. It seems a few of my cousins will be going to get something for her too (ironic, since she thought tattoos were abominations, but ah well).

I had heard of Jason Angst but guess I had never realized he was in the Pittsburgh area. His work is amazing!!!! And Jason Lambert looks great too. I didn't really know what I was looking for when viewing portfolios but this will be on me forever so it is important for me to get something great, and thank you for introducing me to such great artists.