Past Navel piercing rejection and scarring

Questions related to piercings

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, EvilJay, Sphenoid, jamison

serena

Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:56 pm

Can I get a new navel piercing in a different place on the navel now? My last one was years ago, and the body rejected it. After a year, it was still infected and just barely hanging in the skin, so I removed it. Healed up within days.

I really love the look of the new jewelry (not rings).

Can I try again, or does experience show that my body will just reject it again?

I do tend to build up scar tissue naturally (from past stitches, etc)

thanks
barbie_ca8

Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:25 pm

i've had my navel pierced a few times...it may hurt a little more because of the scar tissue...but you may want to try a different metal. any other piercing go wrong?
serena

Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:23 am

It's the only piercing I've ever had (except for ears at age 11... but of course they got infected, because an 11 yr. old can't keep their dirty hands off her ears!)

I loved the look of the piercing, but wondered if I can get something other than a ring for the initial piercing? It really seemed to rub (of course I wear old ladies high waisted pants!). I like the jewels they have now.
barbie_ca8

Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:43 pm

a curved barbell...but i'm thinking you may want to try a different metal, gold maybe.
bonebaby

Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:41 pm

if your body rejected your prior piercing its likely that it was done to close to the surface..but without seeing the extent of the scarring its impossiable to say. My advise would be to go to a reputable piercer in your area and allow them to asses the damage done by the scarring. titanium often heals well in people who have had difficulty getting surgical steel to heal correctly, sterling silver is also an option...remember too that every body is different what works for one may not work for the other...also, if your tummy isnt perfectly flat you may need to watch for "leaning" of the piercing which can cause it to heal crooked. To avoid this make sure that when you sit you sit straight allowing the piercing to breathe at all times
kate1211

Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:47 pm

A curved barbell is ideal because they don't tend to recieve as much friction as a hoop. (no flopping side to side) Also remember a naval piercing can take up to 18 months to heal internally. The weight of the charm jewelry will further irritate them, so if you really want it you have to commit to a full healing, w/o even looking at new jewelry for 6 months. Plastic jewelry shouldn't really be considered in the first year because it is porous. If you are a little roundier allow even more time for healing..

Also if it gets infected and you can't stop the infection with proper care or antibiotics it WILL reject. It is your body's way of trying to clean house. It doesn't mean your prone to rejecting jewelry it may just require you to modify your aftercare a bit..

Kate