Who should have access to the tattoo artist only forum?

Place a request to join the Tattoo Artist/Apprentice Sections

Moderator: EvilJay

Inkitup

Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:16 pm

Hey folks. I just got an e-mail from one of the mods. He said the reason the questions for artists by artists is not available is because they don't know how to keep the scratchers out. Does anyone one on here have any suggestions on how to distinguish between an artist and a scratcher? I thought of some things such as, making the artists post pics of work, and what shop they work at and all that good stuff. The only problem with that is, I don't think it would be real hard to lie about that shit. So, if there is anyone who has any ideas, please post them so we can get that part of the forum opened up. There are a lot of things I would like to discuss with other artists, not just questions, but various things. So, if any of the artists here are interested, help me out. I would like to hear suggestions from everyone on here though, not just artists!

Thanks,
Chad
statefelon716
Hardcore

Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:28 pm

They should require photo copy of drivers license or photo ID, and a photo copy your tattooing liscence
katie_r

Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:30 pm

statefelon716 wrote:They should require photo copy of drivers license or photo ID, and a photo copy your tattooing liscence
This is an online forum, not the State Health Department!
Inkitup

Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:37 pm

katie_r wrote:
statefelon716 wrote:They should require photo copy of drivers license or photo ID, and a photo copy your tattooing liscence
This is an online forum, not the State Health Department!
HAHA, it's not. However, this may be the only way to do it. Sounds like a damn good idea to me.
BadWolf
Verified

Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:49 pm

Very simple. Send a business card and copy of your studio license, along with samples of your work, and allow the established artists who already know each other is legit to vote on it. If your studio number is not listed in the yellow pages under "tattooing" then you aren't working in a studio. If you have no license, you aren't working in a studio. If you aren't working in a studio, you have no business being there.
BadWolf
Verified

Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:56 pm

I would also make it mandatory to show proof of having an autoclave and regular spore testing.
statefelon716
Hardcore

Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:34 pm

I agree with you Badwolf but remember that autoclaves arn't required in every State/town. Just somthing to think about :D . And to Inkit up Thanks it's about time someone agrees with me lol :lol:
Inkitup

Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:41 pm

statefelon716 wrote:I agree with you Badwolf but remember that autoclaves arn't required in every State/town. Just somthing to think about :D . And to Inkit up Thanks it's about time someone agrees with me lol :lol:
Haha, not a problem. Yea, in Texas we are not required to use autoclaves. My shop has 2 of them, but I don't use them. I use disposable needles and sometimes disposable tubes. When I use my Stainless steel tips/grips/tubes, I use my $430 ultrasonic cleaner with either ultrasonic cleaning solution or bleach. It's probably more sanitary with the bleach. Anyway, I all these sound like pretty good ideas to me, but I am sure a lot of real artists are going to have a problem with sending all this stuff. I personally don't mind, but I know it will be a problem for a lot of them. But, I guess if it is, they don't need to be here right?

Thanks for the suggestions guys!
Chad
statefelon716
Hardcore

Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:12 pm

Anytime 8)
BadWolf
Verified

Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:12 pm

I agree with you Badwolf but remember that autoclaves arn't required in every State/town.
They should be. There is a problem with trusting instruments alledgedly sterilized by someone you never met. That problem is, YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO THEM AFTERWARD. I know what happened to MINE. You can use all the plastic crapola you want...but the only way to insure it is sterile is by doing it in the studio in a spore tested autoclave. Anything less is trust...and I trust my client's lives and my reputation to no one working in a sweatshop who has never done a tattoo in their lives and are merely trying to capitalize on something they know nothing about.
statefelon716
Hardcore

Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:17 pm

Wolf I said that I agreed with you (by the way I saw my needle sterlized in an autoclave through a window in the door so i didn't go to some scratcher to get my tattoo). However id be willing to bet a couple bucks that there are artists that do some damn good work that don't use autoclaves. I understand that anyone that has you in mind as opposed to money will use an autoclave but i don't think that should prevent them from accesing the artist fourm. And the website will probaly get accused of discrimination, and unfairness but honestly im not an artist so it's not my problem
BadWolf
Verified

Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:34 pm

but i don't think that should prevent them from accesing the artist fourm.
I would have to disagree. If you are to keep to high standards and do things right, and PROMOTE doing things right, you must sometimes make certain demands. Anyone who wants to take unnecessary chances with themselves or their clients doesn't need a forum where they can get info from professionals. The requirement that they have a spore tested autoclave to get in should be a hint that one is necessary. If they just want advise from other scratchers, they can always just go to "needlejerks" and participate in that sort of clusterfuck where idiots who know absolutely nothing are trying to teach other idiots who know absolutely nothing how to tattoo. I am not here to cater to the lowest common denominator, and any tattooist worth his/her salt won't do so, either.
If someone wants to feel discriminated against, GREAT! Let 'em!
jasonchambers17

Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:16 pm

BadWolf wrote:Very simple. Send a business card and copy of your studio license, along with samples of your work, and allow the established artists who already know each other is legit to vote on it.
I'm no tattoo artist but sounds like badwolf has a good idea. Most of it could be conducted via e-mail and the only person that would really need to see the license and stuff would be the moderator thus keeping things pretty secure, then they could e-mail the artist their own password to enter once they are accepted then if they get out of hand or give their password to someone else the moderator could lock them out.
BadWolf
Verified

Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:59 pm

Yep.
BadWolf
Verified

Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:29 pm

I vote that Stacy, CxCx and Dragon guy (and I choose them for good reasons and excluded myself) vote in the first few members based upon their expertise as to who is legit. Those people, who they determine to be legit and worthy, will be the founding members and will vote in all others.
Can I get an Amen?!!!!